Sunday, January 16, 2011

Snake in the house!


Since moving to Australia in December, I have come across many animals and insects I would definitely not see in New Zealand. There have been lizards, bats and spiders all roaming (or flying) around the main city. I have since had to move to the suburb of Helensvale. A little north of Surfers Paradise, it is not too far from the city lights. When my boyfriend and I moved in with some Australian friends, we were told a story about a poisonous toad that had been found in our flat mates bedroom. It had come in through a hole in the screen door. I asked about snakes but they said that just doesn’t happen. A few nights later I was woken at 2am to my flat mates yelling to close my bedroom door (so that I didn’t get freaked out). A snake had slithered in through the hole in the screen door and eaten her 2 pet mice and left a third petrified to death in the mouse wheel. It turned out to be a carpet python which don’t bite but strangle their victims to death. This one was quite small and pretty harmless to humans, thank god!  Quite an experience for a little New Zealand girl but I got a photo and now might even put it in my ‘like book’. Doing a little research got me thinking about incorporating snake skin patterns into my designs. Some of the big names are using snakes for inspiration for their 2011 collections.

         Christian Dior snake skin pumps                                 Stella McCartney python print dress



No comments:

Post a Comment